Looking for a fun and unique way to commemorate your baby's first birthday? Why not consider cake smash photography?
From the cake smash itself to the silly smiles on the faces of your loved ones, this session is sure to be a hit at your baby's birthday party!
What is a cake smash?
Cake smash for babies photography is a trend that first gained popularity in the early 2000s.
The idea is to take pictures of babies smashing cakes -- usually in the shape of their favorite characters or objects -- to celebrate their special day.
During the photo session, the baby sits in front of the cake. Then the photographer captures all the moments leading to smashing the cake, such as the cake photograph until the baby eats or smashes the cake.
The cake smash session can be done indoors or outdoors and can be done in a number of different styles and themes. And the shoot usually lasts around 30 minutes
Why do we need a cake smash?
Every baby is different, which means that their photos should reflect that. A cake smash will give you the flexibility to capture your little ones in all of their unique glory, and they are unique.
The photoshoot can be tailored to fit your specific needs, and it can be done in a variety of settings – at your home, at a local park, or even at a studio.
A cake smash is also a one-of-a-kind photo session that will be remembered for years to come. Your baby will be the star of the show – and you'll have the perfect keepsake to remember this special day!
Some concerns about cake smash.
Cake smash photography for babies can be incredibly stressful for the babies. These are just some concerns parents may have during cake smash photos.
It is safe and highly customizable.
While there is no harm done in taking this type of photo, some parents worry about what their child might see or do in the photo session.
However, most experts believe that it is not harmful in and of itself, provided that the parents and babies are properly supervised and that any decorations used are safe.
It is a great way to get your baby laughing.
Many parents worry that their baby will get covered in cake and flour, which can be difficult to clean up. But parents can just simply wet a cloth and wipe down surfaces quickly and easily.
A cake smash is sure to put a smile on your baby's face. In fact, many parents report that their babies love cake smashes and seem to enjoy playing with them very much.
It is a fun teachable moment.
Cake smashing is a great way to teach babies about the importance of sharing, manners, and socialization. By participating in cake smashing, you are also helping to build your baby's self-esteem.
The photo providing a visual representation of what is happening inside the baby's mind can help babies understand that emotions such as happiness, sadness, anger, and surprise are all felt inside the body. This knowledge can help babies develop empathy and understanding for others.
It does not pose any significant health risks to babies.
Some parents worry that cake smash will be too sweet for their baby. Many babies are not used to sweet foods and may become nauseous or spend the night crying after a cake smash photo session.
Cakes used on these occasions can always be customized depending on the babies’ dietary restrictions and allergies and even the cake’s ingredients. Just make sure to keep sugar levels low by serving small portions and avoiding sugary toppings or decorations on the cakes.
5 Must-have Photos for Your Baby's Cake Smash
If you are looking to capture some amazing cake smash photos for your new baby, you will want to make sure to have some of these 5 photos ready!
Photo 1: The Initial Reaction of the Baby to the Cake
What could be more fun than watching a baby look intently at a cake before deciding to smash it?
- Have the cake ready with all the props properly placed in the background.
- Place the baby in front of the cake.
- Take the shot immediately after step 2 or you will lose your small opportunity to capture the most peaceful shot of the whole session.
- Now take some time to wait for the baby’s reaction to the cake – this may vary from being gleeful, confused, interested, or uninterested.
This shot can be taken either in portrait or landscape mode, depending on where it is going to be uploaded.
Photo 2: Top-down View
A top-down perspective gives off another angle not shown in the frontal view.
- This is basically just the same as tip 2 but from a different perspective. So you can follow the steps there leading to getting the baby in front of the cake.
- Use a rattle or their favorite toys and position it above near your camera. If this technique fails, you may ask the parent or guardian to call the baby’s attention near the camera.
- Once their eyes look straight at the camera, you can now take the shot.
- You may try different toys or calling techniques to get different expressions from them.
A top-down view is gorgeous as it showcases the baby, backdrop, and, of course, the cake!
Photo 3: Cake on Foot
If you do not want to show your baby’s face in public, then this shot that you need.
- You may just put the icing on the baby’s feet directly.
- If you have a more playful subject who has done the smashing of cake themselves, then you can just prop them in a sitting position with the mess on their foot.
For the more visible appearance of the cake, it is advisable to use colorful icing or contrast of color to the baby’s skin tone.
Photo 4: Close-up on Face
With a close-up photoshoot, you can capture the innocence and beauty of a baby in ways that could not be possible with a baby not being the center of attention.
- Place icing on their mouth.
- Make sure that the baby’s face is the center of attraction instead of the background or other props.
- Include the cake in the photo, but ensure that it is not hogging the spotlight.
This shot is almost the same as the first tip, but it is a messier version this time.
Photo 5: Taking a Bite of the Cake
What could be cuter than a baby enjoying their birthday cake?
- Take a small portion of the cake using clean utensils.
- Feed it to the baby, so you can elicit an immediate response from them.
- Be sure that you are also quick with the clicks once the babies get their cakes.
Whether the little ones enjoy a traditional cake or go all out with a themed cake, these photos will make your day.
Babies are always so adorable, and their first big family celebration should be nothing but perfect!
That's why cake smashes photography is such an important part of baby introductions–it is a fun and celebratory way to welcome their new arrival into the world.
If you like this article, please share it! Be sure to join our FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Katebackdrops/. to share your ideas! You can also receive free articles, updates as well as discounts information from https://www.katebackdrop.com/ and our FB Group.